Can a city cite you for trespassing if no signs are posted?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a city cite you for trespassing if no signs are posted?

I live near Aiken SC and there is a pond nearby
my home in the country. I know the pond is
owned by the city of Aiken and there are no
signs. The gate is locked so I am wondering if
I could still be cited for trespassing by
walking in and fishing even though it is city
land and there are no signs. Thank you for the

Asked on June 15, 2018 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, of course you can be cited for trepassing. Trespassing is nothing more than being on land where you know you don't have a right to be. You know the land is owned by the city; you know it's not a public park since it is gated and locked; you therefore know that it is someone else's property and they don't want you there. That is sufficient for trespassing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption