Can a Canadian company buy US real estate?

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a Canadian company buy US real estate?

I have just incorporated a company in Canada and plan to buy real estate properties for renting in GA. Can you please let me know if a Canadian company can buy real estate in US and, if yes, do I just have to get a tax ID or do I need to get anything else.

Asked on August 17, 2011 Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A foreign corporation or a non-United States citizen has the right to purchase land in the United States as guaranteed by the United States' Constitution under it equal protection provisions. As such, a Canadian corporation is allowed to purchase land in the United States just as anyone else is entitled to do so.

If you are setting up a business in Georgia, and plan to have day to day operations generating income, you will need to make an application with the Internal Revenue Service of the United States for a federal tax identification number for your corporation.

The form can be filled out electronically on the internet and e mailed to the Internal Revenue Service. Under this process, you most likely will receive the desired federal tax identification number within forty-eight hours or so.

There may also be state requirements for your Canadian corporation to do business within the State of Georgia such as registering with its Secretary of State as a foreign corporation licensed to do business there.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption