Can a brother be charged with a lewd act against his younger sister?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a brother be charged with a lewd act against his younger sister?

A friend was telling me the story of how he had his 2 year old sister to touch his privates and lick them (like candy) when he was around 9 years old (no sexual-intercourse). 30 years have passed since then. The sister didn’t remember the incident but the brother brought it up during conversation when talking about possibly reasons why their family was so estranged. Now the brother is concerned that the sister might press charges or similar. What could happen here?

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your friend will be subject to charges for lewd and indecent behavior with respect to improper acts that he did when he and his sister were minors remains to be seen, but given the passage of thirty (30) years and the fact that both your friend and sisters were minirs and relatively young, two (2) and nine (9) years of age, the chances of any criminal filing seems pretty remote.

The rationale is that any charges to be filed may very well be time barred by the statute of limitations. And if not barred, the charges would pertain to a minor where the penalties upon conviction are quite different than with an adult for the same crime. Since your friend is now an adult, the changes of him being charged as a juvenile for an improper act that occurred when he was a juvenile is unlikely.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption