Can a biological mom cover her 21 year old daughter on her insurance policy?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a biological mom cover her 21 year old daughter on her insurance policy?

The biological mom signed her rights away to the child at 17 due to a forceful unfair custody battle and the stepmom adopted the child. The child returned to her mom the day she turned 18; now she is 21. Her adoptive mom and biological dad refuse to put her on their health insurance. Can the biological mom/stepdad cover her under his family insurance plan coverage? Can biological parents give their income for the FAFSA as they will not give her their information to complete these forms either?

Asked on February 17, 2018 under Insurance Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  First, understand that according to the law your biological mom is not related to you for legal purposes.  That means you can not inherit from her estate (unless she puts you in a Will as the beneficiary) and tpshe can not place you on her insurance if rights were terminated.  There is the option to try and nullify the adoption of your step mother.  This, then, opens the door to those benefits from you biological mom.  But it is a difficult process and not one to take lightly on an emotional and family level as well.  As for the FAFSA, if you are not living with your parents and they refuse to give you the information then there is a box on the FAFSA to check about that.  Then only your information will go on it.  I am sure there are places and people to hep with that filing.  Go and seek them out.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption