Can a bank levy be reversed?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a bank levy be reversed?

I am a low income mother whose bank account was just levied (about $1600) from an old debt. Is there any way to have them return the money and set up a garnishment (the creditor has refused) so I can continue to pay my bills and support my child while I pay this debt off? Is it too late to force them to accept a payment plan (garnishment) since they now have a judgment?

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is to go and see a debt counselor for help.  Many states have set up free counseling clinics to help consumers.  Check with your state Attorney General's Office for starters.  But once they have taken the money pursuant to a valid judgement it is difficult to force them to put it back.  You really need legal help with it.  If the judgement was not valid then you could move to vacate but that involves going before a judge and giving good reasons why you want to vacate (if you defaulted why you did not answer and a meritorious defense), of the debt was not a valid debt, etc.  Serve notice on your bank as well so that they do not continue to garnish. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption