Can a bank finance a doublewide with no title?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a bank finance a doublewide with no title?

We purchased a 73 doublewide, completely remodeled on an acre lot 5 years ago. when the bank did the financing and the lawyers did all the paperwork, they left out the title work. So we have no title to the doublewide. We contacted the previous owner and got no where, the bank was no help on getting the title. We would like to sell and buy a bigger home, but we are stuck. How could we get a title? and could we take legal action against the bank?

Asked on July 22, 2011 West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In order to get registered title to the mobile home, contact the department of motor vehicles in your State. Most mobile homes are registered as "vehicles". You need to find the serial number of the mobile home to provide to the department of motor vehicles to find its last registered owner for ttile transfer. Your former attorney should be able to assist.

It seems that you bought the mobile home and some land. Most likely the loan was secured by the land, but you need to check the loan documents to see if the mobile home is also security for the loan.

Your prior attorney needs to contact the prior owners of the land and mobile home you bought for copies of all paper work for the mobile home to place it in your name as the registered owner. A letter from your attorney might get more of a response from the prior owners than the attempts you made.

I see no basis for an action against the bank. The bank did not sell you the mobile home.The prior owners did. You might have an action against them if your contract for purchase was to receive registered title to the mobile home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption