Can a 17 year old file a complaint to press charges without a parent signature?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a 17 year old file a complaint to press charges without a parent signature?

If the parent did sign it can he sign papers to get the D.A. to drop them when he turn 18 by himself or do he still need the parent?

Asked on January 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

This question is best asked to an attorney in your state.  In New York, for example, anyone of any age can file a complaint and press charges against another person so a 17 year old does not need to have a parent or guardian do so on their behalf.  Louisiana is governed by the Napoleonic Code and I would not, therefore, take what happens in New York as a probability as to what happens there.  They laws are very, very different.  The thing to do is to go to the police or the DA's office and speak with them on the matter.  They will let you know how to proceed.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption