What to do if I was called in by the police for questioning?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was called in by the police for questioning?

I gave my employer a month’s notice that i was leaving due to a relocation. Then, 3 days before my final day, I was terminated for reasons that were not disclosed to me. A few hours later, I received a phone call from the local police department. I missed their first call and then they called again later and I answered. There was an officer requesting me to come to the police station for questioning regarding theft from my workplace. I asked what the theft was about and what was stolen but the officer insisted that I come in for questioning and they wouldn’t disclose any more information over the phone. I’m currently out of town as I just finished moving to the other side of the state and don’t have any intention to go back to the town this happened in. I told the officer that I would contemplate coming in if I was given more information but would only do so if I retained an attorney before hand. Should I go in for questioning? Am I legally required to go in for their interview or can I tell them no? Would this potentially be obstructing a peace officer or obstruction of an investigation? If I decline, would I face any legal consequence?

Asked on November 21, 2017 under Criminal Law, Iowa


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Do not submit to police questioning without having legal representation. The fact is that you are not legally required to speak with them. And this true even if they show up to your house. They are experienced and trained in getting people to incriminate themselves. Again, consult with an attorney and do so ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption