CA Car Accident Victims: Advice For When You Don’t Know What To Do Next

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2020

Most Americans have been in an auto accident or truck accident at some point in their lives. While some can be minor and some can be serious, the truth of the matter is that most are somewhere in between. So what do you do when you don’t know what to do next? Our legal expert explains.

California Attorney Barry J. Simon

We asked Barry J. Simon, a California personal injury attorney who has been a tort litigator representing victims against insurance and other large companies for nearly 30 years, what advice he would give to someone who was injured in an accident and wasn’t certain about whether to contact an auto accident attorney? Here’s what he told us:

Well, I get those calls frequently. In fact, I just got one last week. A former corrections officer was driving on the Rte 80 Freeway in California and got hit by a bulldozer, of all things, during a snowstorm. They would be suing CalTrans and it sounded like they had a good case because he told me that the truck almost knocked he and his wife off of a cliff.

I asked him how bad his injuries were and he said, “Well, they don’t seem that bad.” So, what I usually tell people like that is, “Give it another week, give me a call back and let me know how you’re doing. If it’s getting better and you think it’s going to be resolved in two or three weeks, you don’t need a lawyer. If it’s getting worse, then call me and you need to get some treatment.”

Keep the statute of limitations in mind

If you decide that hiring an attorney makes sense for you, it’s important to keep the statute of limitations in mind. According to Simon, “There’s a two-year Statute of Limitations to file an auto accident lawsuit if you’re going to litigate – and that also applies to wrongful death actions.”