If my parents are buying me a house andI am going to get divorced, shouldI get a legal separation first?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my parents are buying me a house andI am going to get divorced, shouldI get a legal separation first?

I can’t afford a divorce now but will get one. I just don’t want any problems if my soon-to-be ex-wife finds out and then wants home or money.

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Even if you cn not afford the divroce afford a legal consultation before you purchase - or your parents purchase - the house.  If it is part of your inheritance or a gift to you alone then it is separate property as long as you intend to keep it separate.  But a legal separation is a good idea if your state permits it because it sets a date certain that the marriage ended (like filing for divorce)and then assets acquired there after are not marital assets.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption