Buyer moved in before closing

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Buyer moved in before closing

We own a trailer and signed a sales agreement with this lady to have a closing date of January 31. she claims she cant pay now until the 5th and I just found out she moved in. I asked her to leave and she refused. What can I do to get her out? I don’t mind waiting until the 5th to close but due to liability I don’t

want her living there. Possession of property in our sales agreement says once it’s signed over to her.

Asked on January 20, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You would have to file an ejectment action against her: "ejectment" is how you remove people who have no right to be in/on the property and who are not rent-paying tenants. You can file this on an "emergent" or urgent basis, to get into court within (generally) a week or so. Ejectment is the only legal way to remove her, unfortunately; there is no faster or cheaper (i.e. without filing a legal action) way. You should be able to get instructions and forms from the county court clerk's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption