Business Quote Dispute

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Business Quote Dispute

I was remodeling my kitchen and chose a discount cabinet company. They came out to measure and provided a quote for what was needed. I signed the quote, paid a 50% deposit, and planned to pay the rest upon receipt of the cabinets. When they arrived, they were picked up by my contractor. The company then called to notify me the amount to pay. It was approximately $700 more than the remaining 50% that I owed. They said other materials had to be ordered. All of this was done without asking me. I did not authorize them to charge my credit card but they charged me anyway. I filed a dispute with my credit card company and submitted all my paperwork, including the signed quote. I was notified that my dispute was denied. What, if any, recourse do I have?

Asked on January 4, 2017 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them for breach of contract--for violating the agreement as to what the job would cost, as reflected in the signed written quote--to recover the money. If you can persuade the court that the agreement was only for $XXX and no more, and that you did nit authorize any more work or charges (and that the terms of the quote did not itself authorize the increase), you can get a court judgment requiring them to return the money. For $700, suing in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se" is a very good option. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption