What to do about a business property dispute?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a business property dispute?

My wife is sharing a leased space with a former business partner. They were in an LLC partnership that was dissolved 2 years ago. They rent a space and pay 1/2 of the bills but are both considered a sole proprietor. They took all the furniture and equipment from the old business to the new. We are being forced out of the lease and now the other party will not let us take 1/2 of our belongings. She told us to get a lawyer. Why should we have to pay a lawyer for property that is 1/2 ours to begin with.

Asked on August 26, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the limited liability company that was the entity that your wife ran a business under with her former partner was dissolved two (2) years ago, then in all likelihood there is documentation splitting up the assets of the limited liability company stating who receives what between your wife and her former business partner.

If not, then your wife is in a sort of a dilemma as a result of the lease problem with the landlord as far as splittng up the furniture and equipment from the dissolved limited liability company. I recommend that your wife and her former business partner sit down and agree in writing as to some of the items that each can have memorialized in a written agreement signed and dated by each of them.

As to those items that they cannot agree upon as to who receives them, then there might be need for your wife to consult with an attorney about the situation.

Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption