Business from prior contractors companies

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Business from prior contractors companies

I have been an independent contractor with a company for the past 2 years. However, there has been inconsistency of assignments, so this year I formed my own LLC company LLC. Now, some of the same companies that my contractor supplied me have reached out to me. Can I move forward to sign a contract under my company’s name and accept work without lawsuit from the previous company even though I was contracted with my name?

Asked on July 17, 2018 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you signed any non-competition or non-solicitation agreement, you will be held to whatever they say. If there was no such agreement, you can do business with the your former employer's contacts: competition is generally legal except when there is an agreement to the contrary.  That does not mean that they may not try to sue you (either to scare you off, to cost you money, or because they are angry, etc.), but based on what you write, if the contacts reach out to you, you can work with them, and should be able to successfully defend any such hypothetical lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption