If I’m closing my hair salon after 25 years, is it a law that I have to give the property management 30 day notice?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m closing my hair salon after 25 years, is it a law that I have to give the property management 30 day notice?

She never drew up a new contract. The last contract we had was for 5 years and that was 20 years ago. It would work better for me to give her a 26 day notice. Is this OK?

Asked on May 30, 2019 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Are you a tenant? If so, then yes, you have to provide a month's notice--not 30 days, but a full calendar month. When a lease or contract expires but the tenant remains, she becomes a month-to-month tenant: her tenancy continues for one month at a time. Tenancies always start the first day of the month when there is no written contract to the contrary. A month-to-month tenancy may only be terminated on a full month's notice, given before the 1st of the next month (since new tenancy began on the 1st, the tenant is obligated for that full month starting on the 1st). Today is the 31st; you could give property management a month's notice today, to end your tenancy July 1 (i.e. June 30 is the last day). If you wait to give notice until June 1, however, since a new month has already begun and you are already obligated for the rent for the whole month, the notice you'd provide would be for August 1 termination of tenancy: i.e you have to give the next month, July, as the notice period.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption