Bumper-bumper accident – am I being SCAMMED?

UPDATED: May 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Bumper-bumper accident – am I being SCAMMED?

I was in a minor bumper-bumper “accident” in the ATM line at the bank. I reversed & bumped the truck behind me… at a distance of under 5 feet and under 5-10 miles per hour. My car was undamaged; however, the driver of the truck behind me said I caused a dent in the chrome grill. He said he’d get it bent back in place. The bent grill was inconsistent with my vehicle, as I made even contact with the length of my back bumper to the his front bumper, so it doesn’t seem possible that my bumper would have caused the irregular bend but I didn’t question his accusation. But I offered to pay if there was a charge & gave him my telephone #. No accident, police report, etc. He called a few days later asking for $1,500 to replace the whole bumper, as well as any underlying “structural damage”. I disputed. He has called his insurance company (same as mine) and filed a claim. They want my statement. Advice?

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Accident Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This is NOT legal advice as I am not your lawyer but in general I would encourage my clients to give a statement and explain that you did not report as you were waiting for the damage estimate.

You have a duty to cooperate with YOUR insurance company, and if you fail to report the accident and fail to cooperate, it can react in a way you won't like, including denying coverage and leaving you to your own devices.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption