Building a Case to Sue the Police: Difficult But Not Impossible

If you’re building a case to sue the police, you should speak to a civil rights activist right away. Suing the cops can be an arduous task because of the particular legal protections that apply to officers of the law. Be sure to preserve any evidence and file complaints within the police department.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Written By: Jeffrey JohnsonUPDATED: Jun 29, 2022Fact Checked

It is common to want to sue the police department after unpleasant contact or friction, especially when the conflict resulted in an arrest that seemed unwarranted, unfair, or downright abusive. Suing the police is complicated, though, even when you have been a victim of some kind of police misconduct and are absolutely innocent with regard to your arrest. This overview of the downfalls you may encounter when you sue the police will help you understand and protect your rights.

Suing the police department for abuse or other violations can be an arduous task not only because of the time and expense involved but also due to certain legal protections that apply to police. However, it is possible to successfully sue the police by becoming aware of the law’s allowances and limitations, carefully building a solid case, and staying the course.

Legal Protections for Both Citizens and Police

Federal and state laws protect citizens from abuse and other violations by government officials, such as police officers. Victims of abuse by police can sue the officers individually as well as the local governments that employ them. So, can you sue a cop? Typically, people sue the police under Section 1983 of the Civil Rights Act of 1871. This law is known simply as Section 1983, and it specifically prohibits anyone acting under the authority of the law from violating another person’s civil rights under the U.S. Constitution.

The police also enjoy legal protections, including “qualified immunity,” which generally insulates them from lawsuits against police. Police are given this protection to enable them to perform their job effectively; the idea being that police have a difficult job, and if they had to constantly worry about civil lawsuits against police, then their ability to enforce the law would be inhibited. Nevertheless, qualified immunity does not apply if it can be shown that the police willfully acted in an unreasonable manner. If the police acted negligently, however, that is not enough to overcome immunity. Find out how to sue the police department for negligence.

How to Sue the Police Department for Misconduct

The police abuses and violations suffered by citizens that are most often litigated are known generally as police misconduct. These cases usually involve but are not limited to, actions such as discrimination, harassment, false arrest, and excessive force. Find out how to sue the police below.

  • In order to sue the police for discrimination or harassment, the victim must show that there is a pattern of this behaviour; one incident of discriminatory or harassing conduct is not enough.
  • False arrest claims usually assert that the victim’s Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable seizure was violated. To prove such a violation, the victim must show that the police did not have probable cause, or sufficient evidence to warrant an arrest. If the police had probable cause or believed that they had probable cause, then most courts will not find a Fourth Amendment violation.
  • A claim for excessive force maintains that the police used unreasonable force under the circumstances in dealing with the victim and typically, the victim suffers serious injury or death. There is no concrete definition of excessive force, so it is up to the victim to show that his or her particular situation did not call for the amount of force used by police.

If you sue the police for misconduct and win, you may be awarded damages, or monetary compensation, as restitution for the violation of your civil rights and any physical or emotional injuries. The court may also require the police officers and police department involved to pay punitive damages, which is meant as punishment for the misconduct.

What You Should Do to Sue the Police

If you have had a confrontation with the police in which you believe there was inappropriate behavior and you are considering a lawsuit against the police department, there are several things you can do to build a strong foundation for your case.

  • Speak to a civil rights attorney as soon as possible. It is important to work with an attorney, especially one who is familiar with police misconduct cases, because they are complex and difficult to try in court. Also, if you have been charged with a crime as part of the incident; oftentimes, police will charge victims of their misconduct with a crime, such as resisting arrest or assault, in order to defend their behavior – it can impact your case tremendously. An attorney with experience in police misconduct cases can assist you with navigating both a civil suit against the police and a criminal charge. In addition, an attorney will usually conduct an independent investigation that involves interviewing witnesses, interviewing doctors who treated you for any injuries you sustained, and obtaining police experts to testify about appropriate police conduct, which will help solidify your case. If cost is a concern, ask attorneys that you meet with if he or she will accept a contingency fee, meaning that he or she will get paid only if you win. Many attorneys who take these types of cases work on a contingency basis.
  • Preserve as much evidence as you can by taking pictures of any injuries, keeping and storing any clothing or other objects that were damaged by police in the incident, and locating people who saw the incident to act as witnesses in your case.
  • File complaints with the police department involved as well as the United States Department of Justice and the United States Attorney General’s office. You will want to do this with the guidance of your attorney, as these complaints may help or hurt your case depending upon the specific facts of your situation.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption