If a house is listed in 3 sibling’s names, can it be sold without the consent of one of the siblings?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a house is listed in 3 sibling’s names, can it be sold without the consent of one of the siblings?

Her house in the 3 sibling’s names. Can it be sold without my husbands’s consent?What can be done if my brother-in-law refusing to give my husband a copy of their dead mother’s Will?

Asked on October 18, 2014 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it is.  First, a beneficiary in a Will or one that is to inherit under the law if there were no will is to receive a copy under the law when the will is offered for probate (The Petition is presented to the court).  Has the Will been offered for probate yet?  If yes and he did not receive a copy then your husband can go to the surrogate's court in the county in which your mother in law resided at the time of her death and look at it. Now, is the property actually deeded to the three siblings or have they been left it under the Will?  You say "listed" here so it is unclear. If your husband's name is on the deed it can not be sold (transferred) without his signature.  If it is left to him in the Will and your brother in law is the executor that could be an issue if he wants to sell it for estate purposes (like paying off debt).  Please seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption