Breaking a rental agreement

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Breaking a rental agreement

When an elderly person is put into assisted living, are they forgiven their lease agreement? Pennsylvania

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

Some states allow for a tenant to break their lease due to health conditions but I could find no such provision in PA law.

But there are some things that you can do if you need to break your lease.  First off, read your lease; there may be a section that discusses your obligations when breaking the lease. In most cases, the landlord will require you to pay the remaining amount due on your lease as if you are still living there.  In PA your landlord is required to take reasonable steps towards re-renting the space in a timely fashion; this is called "mitigating damages." Once the property is re-rented, you are off the hook. If the issue has to go to court, the judge could rule that the landlord didn't take the proper steps to rent the apartment in a reasonable amount of time and cap the amount owed to a couple of months.  However, you must remember that a lease is a contract, and your landlord has every right to enforce the terms of that contract.

You could also draw up a written letter to your landlord explaining your need to break your lease. Here you have a compelling reason, the tenant is going into assisted living.  This reason may convince the landlord to be more lenient about the terms of your lease.  Sign and date the letter in front of a notary and get a copy for your own records.  Then go into your landlord's office so that you can speak to him verbally regarding your need to break your lease.  Explain the reasons why and give the landlord the official handwritten notice. 

This may or may not work.  If it doesn't the landlord will probably tell you that you are going to have to pay according to the terms of the lease and could take you to court for the remaining balance if you refuse.  But then again he may just help you out.

Finally, I'm not admitted to practice in PA, so maybe there is something about all this that I may have missed.  You should consult with an attorney in the area.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption