What are my rights if the vehicle that I purchased from a dealer turned out to be stolen?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if the vehicle that I purchased from a dealer turned out to be stolen?

I bought a used RV that included problems and water damage that could not be investigated thoroughly at the time of sale. I was led to believe that the vehicle was in better shape than it is. Still I resigned myself to my loss and have been actively trying to repair it. Today I went to get the vehicle registered and was told it has been reported as a stolen vehicle. I have been in contact with the dealer but he does not appear to be willing to refund my purchase. Do I have any legal ground?

Asked on March 10, 2012 under General Practice, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to immediately contact the police and indicate to the dealer that you were unaware this was a stolen vehicle. Bring the police with you and hope and pray that this act will change the dealer's mind. If it does not, you need to immediately sue for return of your monies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption