What to do if I bought a car with missing VIN and cannot now re-register it because they say that VIN given does not match?

UPDATED: May 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I bought a car with missing VIN and cannot now re-register it because they say that VIN given does not match?

How do I go about obtaining the title on the car?

Asked on May 21, 2012 under General Practice, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way for establishing title for the car that you have written about through your state's department of motor vehicles is for you to go down to that department and have a face to face meeting with one if its representatives as to what would be the best way to get good title to the car that you now have.

If for some reason that you are unable to get the registered title to the vehicle that you now have, and assuming you bought it from a third person, you might consider cancelling the purchase contract and getting your money back (assuming you paid for the car) in that good title to it was a material fact for your purchase of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption