What happens if bought a car with girlfriend and we split up if my name is on the bill of sale but she paid for the car in full on a debit card?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if bought a car with girlfriend and we split up if my name is on the bill of sale but she paid for the car in full on a debit card?

I recently bought a car with my girlfriend. She doesn’t drive but paid for the car with her debit card. Everything is in my name only, including the bill of sale. Her name would only be on the receipt from running the card. The dealership said it would take 3 to 4 weeks to send us a title. That was 2 weeks ago. We have broken up since then and she went to the dealership and demanded that the car be put in her sister’s name. They agreed to do so. I moved out and have the car in my possession with the bill of sale. Is my insurance still valid on the car and do I own it?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Business Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, the car is legally yours from the registered title documentation since it is in your name.

However, since your former girlfriend actually paid for the vehicle in full, you should cooperate with her in transfering title to it over to her and once done, immediately notify your auto insurance carrier that you no longer want the vehicle as an insured item under your policy of insurance. Once done, you then cancel the auto insurance policy for it making sure that your former girlfriend has one in place for the car before you do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption