What to do about an executor who is abusing their authority?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an executor who is abusing their authority?

Both parents are deceased; 3 daughters are heirs equally; 1 is executor. She changed locks on the home refusing entry to other 2. Can we 2 sisters change the locks again? How do we force probate? Can she move in? How do we stop her?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your sister who is the named executor under the wills of your parents have yet to file a petition to probate their estate, you as one of the heirs can retain an attorney and file a petition with th original wills of your parents seeking to establish the probate proceeding and get the process moving.

Unless the one sister who is the named executor under the wills of your parents has "letters testamentary" to act as the executor under the wills of your parents, she cannot unilaterally refuse your entry into your parents' home.

Given the somewhat challenging situation with your one sister, I recmmend that you consult with a wills and trust attorney to discuss implementation of my suggestion stated above.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption