Both on deed, does he have access to home

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Both on deed, does he have access to home

Both on deed. He moved away and says he is coming to property, after 5 months, to get his things and hire am agent to sell house. Do I have to let him in, especially if he has been violent in past?Do I have to allow people he brings with him to move, in the house?Is he allowed to have me videod while in my house and on property?

Asked on September 27, 2017 under Family Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If he is on the deed with you, he is as much an owner of the house as you are and has fully equal rights as you to access it, to use it, to store things in it, to bring other people into, etc. Any/all owners can enter, etc. the home. You cannot keep him out unless you were to get a protective order against him, which would require a showing of current threat or risk (past violence, if in the past, would not get a protective order now). If you want to explore this last option, consult with a family law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption