Both my parents have passed, my Dad had a pention what happens, does it go back to the company

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Both my parents have passed, my Dad had a pention what happens, does it go back to the company

Both my parents have passed, my Dad had
a pention, does it go back to the
company. All his children are adults

Asked on February 23, 2016 under Estate Planning, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Generally, the pension is no longer paid when the retired worker and his spouse have passed (some pensions in fact, do not go to the spouse if the worker passes first, but end when the worker passes away)--it is very rare for a pension to then go to surviving adult children. However, while very rare, it is not impossible--you need to check the terms of his pension (contact the company and/or pension administrator) to see if there anything coming to you. Most likely not, but it's worth a few phone calls, etc. to check.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption