What to do if a boss lied to my superiors about me which resulted in my suspension?

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a boss lied to my superiors about me which resulted in my suspension?

I work in a restuarant. My boss suspended me for “not bringing a guest their meal”. This is inaccurate. There are witness to prove I am in the right. I spoke to the general manager about the lie, and two others he documented about me the same day. The GM says he takes the managers side and suspension sticks. The thought of having to go back to work there makes me so anxious I am physically sick. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on April 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any recourse against the GM or the restaurant, unless you had an employment contract which they violated in some way; without a contract, you are an employee at will, and may be suspended (or, for that matter, terminated) at any time, for any reason, including a reason which is factually inaccurate.

In theory, you might be able to sue your boss for defamation. Defamation is the public--which includes to any other third party, like the GM--making of false factual statements about you which damage your reputation or working/business relationships. However, since the most you could likely recover is the amount of wage you lose by the suspension, and since you'd have to be able to refute the boss's testimony so as to show that the statement was factually inaccurate, it is unlikely that it is worthwhile to pursue this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption