What are employee rights regarding a boss who “stole” the employees’ time?

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are employee rights regarding a boss who “stole” the employees’ time?

My boss was caught docking employees for lunches they didn’t take and adjusting employees time, he resigned but the company hasn’t offered the employees any compensation and will only look at the time for the month before last. Are we better off getting an attorney or going through the DOL?

Asked on March 3, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are way better off if you have significant proof of going to the Department of Labor and seeing if you can a) file a joint complaint or individual complaints but in a group format and b) see if the department of labor has jurisdiction to get your recompense. If this cannot be done or the department of labor has no such jurisdiction, you need to think of the every man for himself mentatlity because if you do wind up in a group suit with a law firm who is not doing this pro bono, you will be winding up paying out a lot in attorneys fees. Even if the court orders those fees to be paid by the defendant, you need to make sure that not a dime is spent until a judgment comes down.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption