Booth rent increase in beauty industry with no notice

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Booth rent increase in beauty industry with no notice

I have been in a verbal contract for six years
with the owner of the salon that I work at. We
recently relocated she advised me that my booth
rent will probably go up but did not tell me an
amount or starting when. Then last week she
told me she was Raising it 200 starting
immediately. Since we are on a verbal agreement
my understanding is we’re on month-to-month,
which would mean that she needs to give me a 30
day notice. Is this correct I live in Utah

Asked on July 19, 2017 under Business Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are correct. An oral lease or contract ("oral," not "verbal," is the correct term for an unwritten contract/lease) is a month-to-month lease. While she can change (increase) the rent, she must give you a month's notice before the increase takes effect. You only owe the extra after a month.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption