If I quit after having been given a bonus, can it be deducted from my last paycheck?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I quit after having been given a bonus, can it be deducted from my last paycheck?

I got a Christmas bonus from my place of employment. I had to quit without a notice due to my husband’s work transferring him out of state. My last paycheck had the bonus amount deducted out of it. Is that legally allowed?

Asked on December 28, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It would only be legal IF you had some written agreement or at least written policy statement (e.g. in an employee handbook) which you received prior to getting the bonus and deciding when to quit in which you agreed (either explicitly, or at least implicitly, by continuing to work there after having notice of the policy) that if you quit within a certain amount of time after receiving a bonus (or quit without notice), the bonus will be debited from your last paycheck. The law is very clear that apart from court or IRS-ordered garnishments, employee pay may only be withheld or deducted with employee consent, so if you did not in some provable way consent to this, they could not legally do this.
You could, if you deem it worthwhile, sue them for the money. But if you have already relocated or are about to move, it will not likely be worth your while to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption