How do I collect for medical bills caused by a bite from a neighbor’s cat?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I collect for medical bills caused by a bite from a neighbor’s cat?

One day I came back home and a cat that has been staying around my building (apartment complex) didn’t want to move. So I tried to move it and it bit my finger and drew blood. I went to the ER and after I came back I found out who the owner of this cat was. I went to see them and they told me that “they will take care of bill, and make payments as much as they can afford at one time “. So now 2 weeks later I finally received my bill for $460. How should I go by doing collecting on this?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that someone--or their animal--negligently caused you injury or made you incur costs, if they don't voluntarily reimburse you, your only way to obtain compensation is to sue, or bring a lawsuit. For what you describe, you are better off suing in small claims court, representing yourself (no lawyer); the cost of an attorney would exceed what you hope to recover. Also bear in mind that you may not win--for a pet owner to be liable, they must have been negligent, or unreasonably careless, in some way. Cats are generally let out; it's not clear that letting his/her cat out (so that it hung around your building) is negligent. It also may be that you, in fact were negligent (which would reduce or eliminate your compensation) in putting your hand to a strange cat.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption