Biological father

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Biological father

I just learned that I had a biological father and that he passed away in 2013. He did not know that I was his child because I believe my mother lied to him and said that the man who took care of me on my life was my dad I recently got a DNA test done proving that he is my father it is not a court appointed test though. Since my biological father did not know about me and didn’t give me up, all the family said if he would have known and he would have taken care of me, do I have any right to see his will?

Asked on April 13, 2018 under Estate Planning, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the will has already been probated--or more generally, his "estate" (or the assets, if any he left behind) has already been probated, even if there was no will--then it is too late to do anything: once an estate has been fully settled in probate, it cannot be opened up and revisited.
If probate has not been completed, as a biological child who would have the right to inherit if there was no will (under the rules for "intestate sucession," or who gets what when there is no will, which generally provide for inheritance to children), you would have sufficient "standing," or potential legal interest in the matter, to bring a legal action in which you would demand to see the will and get your share, if the will gives you anything...or get your appropriate share if there is no will. But you would have to bring a lawsuit to do this if the estate's "personal representative" (the executor or administrator) does not voluntarily cooperate. If you want to explore legal action, contact a probate attorney--this is not the kind of action that a non-lawyer can likely bring successfully.
Note that if there is a will and doesn't leave anything to any unnamed or identified children--e.g. every person who inherits under the will is specifically identified--you will not receive anything:  a will is enforced as written, so if the estate is left entirely to named persons, only they inherit under it, regardless of what everyone believes your father would have done had he known of you. When there is a will, only the plain terms of the will matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption