How can a women prove that her husband committed bigamy?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can a women prove that her husband committed bigamy?

How is it investigated and what can be covered under a protective order or to obtain emergency relief to have spousal support and obtain home, vehicle and furniture and living expenses, including

attorney fees while waiting to resolve matters?

Asked on April 28, 2019 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Nobody "investigates" bigamy other than the person alleging it (i.e. the woman). To prove it, you need either documentary evidence of another marriage such as by locating another marriage certificate in a different state or finding mortgage applications, tax returns, etc. filed as "married" with another person, or compelling testimonial evidence, such as an admission by the husband or by the other spouse that they are married.
The woman may be able to obtain support while the matter is being resolved, but this is not a given, and she may not get everything requested in this question--remember, when she first files an annulment or divorce case, nothing is proven yet, and courts will not necessarily provide sole rights to a home or monetary support on unproven allegations, and if they do, will tend to be the minimal support required to sustain her in the interim.
She needs to retain a family law attorney to help her; the lawyer will know far better than her how to try to find proof of another marriage, how to apply for interim support, and what she can likely get. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption