What to do if I hit someone on a bicycle with my car door?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I hit someone on a bicycle with my car door?

I parked my car. When I tried to get out, I opened the door and a bicycle was coming fast that I couldn’t see. The bicyclist got injured. I need to consult with an

attorney about this matter. I’ve informed my car insurance company about

this as well.

Asked on September 4, 2016 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you were careless or negligent--for example, not looking in the direction the cyclist was coming from, before opening the door--you can be liable, or financially responsible, for any personal injuries and property (e.g. bicycle) damage he suffered. On the other hand, if you were not careless but he was (for example, coming too fast around a corner or around some vehicle which obscured your view of him, and his of you), then he could be liable for any of your damage (e.g. a dented door) to the extent it's not paid for by insurance (e.g. your deductible, if you have collission coverage; the full amount of your damage, if you don't). However, remember that even if you are liable to him, he does not have to pay until he sues you and wins; and conversely, if he is liable to you, you'd have to sue for any money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption