How best to fight a small claims judgment?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to fight a small claims judgment?

I was sued for a debt that was past the statute of limitations. The suit took place in IN; I live in TX and AR and have never lived in IN. A default judgment was handed down for over $12,000 in a small claims court. I explained to the court that I do not live in IN and the proper venue was not served. I also explained to the court that the statute of limitations had expired on the contract and debt. How do I go about fighting this and, in the least, get the case dismissed or moved to AR or TX? Also, can they garnish my wages?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, you need to get the default judgment vacated--if it's not vacated, you can't get to any of the rest of your argument. If you in fact were served, and if the way you were served  comported with IN rules, it may be difficult to do this, UNLESS you can show that IN  lacked any jurisdictional basis (that is, that under the law of IN, the IN court had no power over you because you had insufficient contacts with the state) and/or that the statute of limitations was exceeded. You would do this by filing a motion with the court to vacate the judgment, provind a certification/affidavits and other evidence. If the judgment is vacated, then you will have the chance to either defend yourself from the suit on substantive grounds (including an expired SOL) or on procedural grounds (such as to do with service).

If there is $12,000 at stake, you should retain an attorney to help you do this. A lawyer will be much better able to advance arguments based on statute of limitations or venue, and will know how to present and file a motion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption