What to do if I’m being sued for fender bender from 8 months ago?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m being sued for fender bender from 8 months ago?

I was in a low impact collision and I’m now being sued for it 8 months later after my insurer denied the injury claim because of how low impact and little damage was done. I have no idea what to do and any legal advice might literally save my life considering I’m borderline homeless with a pregnant wife.

Asked on November 28, 2017 under Accident Law, Utah


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Contact your insurance company and ask if it will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.  If your insurance company does that, immediately provide it with the documents you  received when you were sued.  You should have been served with a summons and complaint (the complaint is the lawsuit). A response (answer) to the complaint must be filed with the court and mailed to the opposing attorney prior to the expiration of the time period set forth in the summons.  If an answer to the complaint is not timely filed with the court and served by mail on the opposing attorney, that attorney will file a default against you.  A default judgment means you have lost unless you are successful in filing a motion to set aside the default which will get the case back on track. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption