Can my girlfriend get any type of pardon or clemency to help clear her criminal record?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my girlfriend get any type of pardon or clemency to help clear her criminal record?

My girlfriend was charges with felony fraud 3 years ago by FL unemployment; it was adjudicated down to misdemeanor petit theft. She only had to pay restitution. I was told she has a chance from FL clemency board though it’s been almost 3 years. She was let go from her full-time job just after this occurred so now companies do not wish to hire ex-offenders. She only has a part-time job left. She has a clean record up to this incident. Oddly, when officers came to her house to get her, she was getting ready for work since she had no idea she was going to be charged. I am trying to find way to get her record clear so she can work full-time again.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

She should speak with a criminal attorney that deals with expunging or sealing criminal conviction records and arrest records in the Florida area.  Each state allows a person that meets the criteria to expunge  - erase - or seal their record.  She would apply for a certificate of Eligibility under Florida law.  If she does not qualify for expungement then she may be able to request that she be pardoned for the crime.  It may still show up on a background check though.  I am going to give you a link to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement as a start.  Take a look at their web page to get an idea. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption