Can I be named in eviction proceedings even ifI moved out and never signed a lease?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be named in eviction proceedings even ifI moved out and never signed a lease?

I never signed a lease, although shortly after I had moved out, the landlord had typed one up with both of our names in it. I did not sign because I did not think I would move back in. I took full financial responsibility for our child when I left, and still paid the utilities for the apartment. I spoke to the landlord about the pending eviction, and he reassured me he did not want my money, I would not have to pay (I was willing to if the need arose), and he would ensure that the proceedings would not affect me. However, at this point, his lawyer seems to be saying differently.

Asked on December 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Rhode Island


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Even though you never signed the lease for the unit you were occupying (you may have had an oral agreement to lease the unit) and have actually moved out of the unit, you very well can be named in an eviction proceeding by the landlord since this is apparently the situation that you have.

Given the situation that you are in and the apparent impasse that you have with the landlord's attorney, I recommend that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney to try and resolve the eviction proceeding against you without the need of having to go to court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption