Can a quit claim deed of gifted property be undone?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a quit claim deed of gifted property be undone?

Before my husband died we had a quit claim notarized to my daughter on our property. The property was recorded in her name but she does not live here. She has never provided any upkeep or paid any taxes; I have. Is there any way I can refute the quit claim and have the property back in my name?

Asked on September 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states when a gift is actually made and given, it cannot be taken back unilaterally by the person who made the gift. If you and your husband quitclaimed an interest in a certain property to your daughter and the quitclaim was recorded in the county recorder's office where the property is located, a gift of any interest that you and your husband was made to your daughter. She now owns an interst in this property.

There is no way that you can take back your interest given unless your daughter is willing to grant back to you the interest given in a recorded deed.

Your daughter essentially had no obligation to provide any upkeep or pay the taxes on the property unless there was an agreement to the contrary.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption