How can I get my wife and child back to the US if our child is a US citizen?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my wife and child back to the US if our child is a US citizen?

Before I met my wife, she came to the US as a K1 fiance visa with someone else. Things didn’t work out and she ended up divorcing him before receiving a permanent residence. She is now married to me and we have a child. Now she is in her native country with my son because of some family issues. So I’m trying to figure out how I can get my family back? My son is a US citizen but my wife has no status. How can I get them back?

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Ok, first of all, it is a good thing that she left back to her home country since she would not have been able to legalize her status within the US if she first entered through a K-1 visa sponsored by another petitioner.  Now that she is overseas, you would need to petition for her as your spouse since you are legally married.  As far as your former attorney, do you know if he/she filed anything thus far or just discussed filing.  If nothing has been filed, you can have another attorney file it for you.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption