If I have been separted from my wife for 2 years and she took out a credit card in my name, is there anything Ithat can do?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have been separted from my wife for 2 years and she took out a credit card in my name, is there anything Ithat can do?

My soon-to-be ex-wife took out a credit card in my name. Now I owe on the card.

Asked on March 26, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  You could indeed take drastic measures here and I would consult with your attorney about them.  Call the credit card company.  Ask to see the original application because you believe that your signature was forged.  Ask them to close the card immediately. If she did not have your permission to open the card you ned to use thin info in the divorce settlement.  She needs to be made responsible for the card but I would not just assign the debt to her. I would have the debt paid immediately out of her portion of the settlement or pay it on her behalf and have the court assign you another asset.  Get help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption