Been a victim of hit and run, compensations?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Been a victim of hit and run, compensations?

My vehicle was at a complete stop before a red light, and this driver in her 20’s rammed into my rear bumper. As I was about to exit out the vehicle to exchange the information, but the driver made a reckless, illegal U-turn to get away from the scene. My vehicle itself may have only minor damage, but the impact caused me and my passenger a moderate backache around my hip bone area and I am afraid I cannot make it to work for next few days, and I am also worried about my medical/auto repair bills that I may have to be accountable for. Fortunately, I do have a complete footage from my dash cam that clearly took the license plate and the drivers like-about. I already have filed a police report and contacted my insurance company about this, but I am yet to hire an attorney who specializes in such a hit-and-run incidents. I have an insurance that covers 25/50k bodily injury and 15/30k uninsured motorist coverage. Would I be able to procure the bills from medical/auto repairs, missing work, and pain and suffering from my injury?

Asked on July 10, 2018 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In a lawsuit, you can recover from an at-fault driver--and if you were stopped at red light when hit, the other driver was almost certainly at fault--medical bills, lost wages, cost to repair your car, and for serious injuries causing weeks or months (or longer) of life impairment, some amount for "pain and suffering." You can only recover to extent you are not paid by insurance: e.g., say you have $8k of medical bills but your insurer paid $7,200 of them--you could only recover the extra $800. If they don't pay voluntarily, you'd have to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption