What to do if a foreclosed townhome next door has mold which is coming over into my basement?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a foreclosed townhome next door has mold which is coming over into my basement?

I own a townhouse and I share a common wall with my neighbor. The neighbor abandoned his house and it is under foreclosure. In winter, a pipe burst in next door and flooded the basement. As a result, water came into my basement and I noticed some mold. So, I had to fix my side of the wall; the insurance covered some of it. A few days back I noticed that moldy spots are showing up again and I suspect this is because my neighbor’s basement is still flooded and/or damp. I could fix it but it may happen again. What options do I have to get neighbor’s basement fixed?

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to place a claim with your insurance company and talk to the now owner of the neighbor's townhome, which would most likely be the lender. Talk to the insurance company about enlisting their help in filing a lawsuit for damages against the bank. Then, if you know the bank who foreclosed on the home, file a consumer complaint against that bank for failing to properly protect the abutters and that the bank's failure to repair the flood and mold has resulted in encroachment and trespass of those damages into your home. Who you file this consumer complaint with will depend on who regulates that bank. If the bank is regulated by the Office of the Comptroller, it will have an N.A. at the back of the name; same with it if it has f.s.a or f.s.b. You can always call the New York Banking Department and find out from that agency.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption