Bar lost my ID and credit card. What can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Bar lost my ID and credit card. What can I do?

I very stupidly left my ID and CC at a bar. I realized the next day and went to pick them up. Even though the bar went to great lengths to tell me how well their system is for this sort of thing, they could not find either. After getting upset and having words with the manager the best I got was to come by another day and check again? Is there anything I can do because I really feel they don’t care.

Asked on December 5, 2016 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should cancel your credit card immediately and report the loss to the card issuer: if you don't, you could potentially be held liable for changes someone else makes on your card. You should also begin the process of replacing your ID. The bar is NOT liable for your loss of your card and ID--it is not their fault you left them there. They are not required to help you look for them (and even if they do, that won't help if they were accidently thrown out or someone, like another patron, stole them) and will not be liable or responsible for any loss you suffer: the bar is not obligated to watch out for its patrons and prevent them from losing their ID or credit cards. This is your problem to fix, not their problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption