Can a bankruptcy case be reopened?

You may reopen a bankruptcy case in order to take care of new matters that crop up after the case. Section 350 of the Code permits a bankruptcy judge to reopen “to administer assets, accord relief to the debtor, or for other cause.”

Do I have to list all of my debts in my bankruptcy filing?

When you file for bankruptcy, you must list all debts on the appropriate forms. Failure to do so can negatively affect your bankruptcy filing, in some cases resulting in the filing being dismissed and in other instances resulting in the debts you failed to list simply not being discharged.

Bankruptcy Credit Counseling – What Is Involved

Credit counseling and educational requirements under the bankruptcy law include briefing from an approved nonprofit budget and credit counseling agency and a post-filing instructional course concerning personal financial management offered by such an agency, depending on which bankruptcy chapter you file.

The Bankruptcy Means Test – How Does It Work

A bankruptcy means test is what the name implies. The purpose of the test is to see if you have the means to pay for at least some of your debts before they are discharged in bankruptcy. Learn the process of calculating a bankruptcy means test.

Where do I file a bankruptcy petition?

Bankruptcy courts are part of the federal judicial system. This means bankruptcy proceedings are governed by federal law. Before you file your bankruptcy petition, make sure you have listed every creditor that you owe money to. Failure to do so can result in dismissal of your bankruptcy petition. Further, lying on a bankruptcy petition can result in a jail sentence.

What is involved in the bankruptcy process?

Among other things involved in the bankruptcy process, before you can file a Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy, you will have to take a means test. The means test identifies those debtors who have the financial capacity to pay a significant portion of their bills to creditors. It involves comparing the debtor’s income to the median income of the state where the debtor is located.

Do I need an attorney to file for bankruptcy?

Although it is possible to file bankruptcy without a lawyer, it is best to file Chapter 7 bankrutpcy with the help of a bankruptcy attorney. Filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy is even more complicated, and most likely cannot be done by a non-lawyer. Read on for more information about whether you can file bankruptcy without a lawyer.