Can I use a bank statement from a joint account that is linked to my sole accountas evidence in my divorce trial?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I use a bank statement from a joint account that is linked to my sole accountas evidence in my divorce trial?

Have a divorce trial in a few weeks. My ex-to-be and I separated about 2 1/2 years ago. He is still in at the marital home and I live in an apartment complex with our only son. I have opened up my own personal checking account since I moved out. I mainly pay all my bills on-line. I noticed there was a savings account that was linked with my checking. I realized it was the savings account that we had jointly for 10 years. When I clicked on to the savings account it gave me the statement of all transactions that he has been doing. Can I use these statement in my trial.

Asked on July 12, 2011 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Aslong as it is properly introduced in to evidence.  If the account is a joint account the  you have every right to review the transactions as your husband (or soon to be ex husband as you say).  And from what I am reading between the lines you believe that you have proof that he has been dipping in to and using marital funds for his own benefit, correct?  That is known as dissipating a marit asset and the courts do not look kindly on the spouse that is dipping in, so to speak.  Please get help with all of this.  I am assuming that you have an attorney for the trial. Make sure the attorney has the information and the time to properly present it to the court.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption