What is my legal recourseregardinga used car purchase?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my legal recourseregardinga used car purchase?

I bought a vehicle in September of last year and drove it about 3 weeks. Its been in the shop needing major repairs ever since. It’s a used car from a dealer and is financed. What is the best course of action to take?

Asked on January 19, 2011 under General Practice, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming here that it is a used car, correct?  North Carolina does not have a used car lenom law unfortunately, but there are other laws that may be able to help you and licensing agencies that should be alerted as this was purchased from a dealer.  The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has a Used Car Rule wherein dealers are required to provide consumers with a Buyer's Guide with warranty and other types of information. If the dealer has not then they have violated the rule. Also, each state has what are called Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (UDAP) laws. If the dealer enticed you to buy the car by making promises or not telling you about issues relating to your used car, you may be able to sue.  And North Carolina's version of the Uniform Commercial Code may provide you with relief. Seek legal help here.  Also, call the State Attorney General's office and report the dealer.  Ask for the licensing bureau for car dealerships as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption