What to do if back taxes owed were not disclosed to me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if back taxes owed were not disclosed to me?

I took over a deceased family member’s home 6 years after his death. As another family member had been renting this property out, I thought all legal issues we’re resolved. However, the property is still in the deceased person’s name. Also, 2 years of back taxes that occurred while property was being rented out. None of these things were disclosed to me. Can the person who

was renting property out be held responsible?

Asked on July 13, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the person who was "renting this property out" was not the owner of the property, he or she would generally have no obligations in regard to property taxes (either to pay them or disclose them) or in regards to title. A renter or property manager is only resonsible vis-a-vis the tenancy, not ownership, title, or taxes, unless there was some written agreement or lease making them responsible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption