How best to avoid high insurance rates?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to avoid high insurance rates?

I am 21 years old and got a DUI when I was 19. I have been paying a horrible amount for auto insurance since then. I was wondering if it is possible to sell my car to a family member and drive the car as a non-primary driver under there insurance to avoid paying the amount that I do.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Insurance Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Sure it is possible - if you also want to be convicted of insurance fraud along with your family member.  You are intentionally defrauding the insurance company to obtain a lower rate.  Do you really want to get involved in all of that and to drag your family member down with you? No, I dod not think so. Listen: you made a mistake and now you are going to have to wait it out until the rate lowers.  Try upping the deductible on the car repairs/ collision portion and see where that gets you. Many times the rate lowers significantly.  Or ask about any driving classes that may lower the rate a percentage per year.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption