CanI be charged for getting back my personal property that was left in a repossessed car?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI be charged for getting back my personal property that was left in a repossessed car?

My auto lender repossessed my car and the repo company is demanding $25 for return of my personal property as a “clean out” fee. Is this legal? They are not letting me clean out my own car and remove the items, apparently they did it themselves.

Asked on July 20, 2010 under General Practice, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Here is the problem: they have your stuff and they won't give it back until you pay the fee.  Getting legal help will cost you more than $25.  So would filing a claim as against them for conversion of the property, if that cause of action would even stand.  So I would send them a letter by certified mail indicating that they are holding your possessions as against your rights under the law.  That any such unlawful detainment of your property is considered conversion and that they will be liable for damages as permitted under the law. See what happens.  They may just tell you to come and get your stuff.  They may direct you to the statute that allows them to do this and then you will know one way or the other if you have a case. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption