What to do about a mechanic’s bill if the mechanic hasn’t repaired the car?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a mechanic’s bill if the mechanic hasn’t repaired the car?

My car wouldn’t start so I had my car towed to a local repair shop. I was told that the car needed major work done to it and I was given a verbal estimate. A week and a half later I was told that the car was still not starting. He now wants to charge me more to keep diagnosing the problem. Since he has not fixed the problem with the work he did and still does not know what the problem is, do I have to pay him for the work he did, which was not called for. Also, is there a way I can get the car towed out of his shop so I can get it to a different mechanic?

Asked on October 27, 2010 under General Practice, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Was all this done verbally?  Nothing written?  This may be a problem here.  He can not keep your car hostage and he is not fixing it.  Yes, you have rights here.  But you are going to have a huge fight on your hands. I would seek help from an attorney in your area.  You are going to need to have the car removed from the premises but I guarantee that the mechanic will not let you without a court order.  Additionally, in order to disprove the work he did you will need a new mechanic to state that it was not called for. Your "expert" testimony.  Seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption